Saturday, January 15, 2011

English 101: Lie, Lay, Sit , Set

Many people have a hard time knowing when to use these verbs correctly. Their grammatical differences are not difficult once you understand the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs. A transitive verb needs a direct object to complete the meaning of a sentence. An intransitive verb does not need a direct object to complete meaning.

"Lay" is a transitive verb. "I will lay the blanket on the bed." (Subject "I," verb "will lay," direct object "blanket,"  prepositional phrase "on the bed.")

"Lie" is an intransitive verb. "I will lie on the bed." (Subject "I," verb "will lie," prepositional phrase "on the bed." No direct object needed.)

"Set" is a transitive verb. "I will set the pillow on the chair." ("Pillow" is the direct object.)

"Sit" is an intransitive verb. "I will sit on the chair." (No direct object needed.)

"Put" can be substituted for the transitive verbs "lay" and "set." Easy! Or as easy as English can be.

2 comments:

  1. This set of rules may take some time to digest completely as my own because I have been trying to teach a dog these very words for years. He is very unimpressed to say the least. For me to say Sit, Stay or Lie to a fellow who has a complete mind of his own is just a waste of English breath. The word Set will not even be attempted. ‘Put’ is always used derogatively such as "PUT THAT DOWN NOW, OR ELSE!"

    Although, I do struggle sometimes with these words when writing a short story about things that other dogs might do if so inclined.

    love and Hugs,
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. An evil pug perhaps! Maybe he'd listen if you dangle cookies in front of him.

    ReplyDelete