Friday, December 31, 2010

Charlotte Mew

Has anyone ever heard of this poet? I never had until I ran across one of her poems on the blog "First Known When Lost." Charlotte Mew (1869-1928) was an English poet, published and admired in her day. Hugh Walpole, the Poet Laureate Robert Bridges, Lady Ottoline Morrell, and Virginia Woolf all praised her poetry. In 1923, on the recommendation of John Masefield, Walter de la Mare and Thomas Hardy, she was awarded an annual Civil List pension. Thomas Hardy said that Mew was "far and away the best living woman poet."

And there might be a clue to the reason why she has been forgotten. Hardy apparently found it necessary to use the adjective "woman" to describe her work. Did that carry the same connotation then as "chick lit" carries now?  Here is an example of her poetry taken from Charlotte Mew Collected Poems and Selected Prose. Ed. Val Warner. New York: Routledge, 2003.  You decide:

In the Fields

Lord, when I look at lovely things which pass,
  Under old trees the shadows of young leaves
Dancing to please the wind along the grass,
  Or the gold stillness of the August sun on the August sheaves;
Can I believe there is a heavenlier world than this?
  And if there is
Will the strange heart of any everlasting thing
  Bring me these dreams that take my breath away?
They come at evening with the home-flying rooks and the scent of hay,
  Over the fields. They come in Spring.

4 comments:

  1. You really are completing my formal education. Thanks for continuing to post, even without comments yesterday.

    Her word pictures are beautiful and filled with movement. Along with talk of starlight on Chet's blog, maybe there's hope for a bright 2011.

    Happy New Year, Bee. I hope your students know how fortunate they are to be part of your passion and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty, that is a beautiful poem. So uplifting just when I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bluecat: I like your description of "movement." I think that the "s" sound repeated often in the first four lines represents the movement of wind and, possibly, the August (both month and the sense of majestic) sun as well. I'm having fun reading her poetry. Her work should be taught in schools but as far as I'm aware, it isn't.

    Judith: I'm glad the poem helps. You might like some of her other things also. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. " . . . Will the strange heart of any everlasting thing / Bring me these dreams that take my breath away?"

    Living in the moment. To take joy of that which is fleeting. This is all we have here.

    Nice and NOT Girly.

    Whoops, this is Melanie on the downstairs computer. My google account is on the upstairs computer and I'm too tired to go up the stairs!

    ReplyDelete