Monday, December 27, 2010

More Etymology

I've always confused "astrology" and "astronomy." Astrology basically means star-divination. Astronomy is the science of the material universe.  Perhaps my confusion is caused by the similarity of the words.

"Astron" is the Greek for "a star." "Logos" is the Greek for "word." The combination of the two means a "study of stars" which, to me, is what astronomy does.  "Nomy" is the Greek for "distribution" which I translate as the arrangement, in this case, of stars. To me that is what astrology does when it uses the constellations as "signs."

Checking the OED I find that at one time "astrology" was the word used for both meanings in both Latin and Greek.  However, in Old English "astronomie seems to have been the term first used, and to have embraced the whole field of the ancient astrologia." Later "astrologie was adapted for the art or practice of astronomy, and gradually, though not completely before the 17th Century, astronomy and astrology took their current senses."

Sigh. Is it any wonder that I find the two words confusing?

5 comments:

  1. I took Astronomy in college. I always loved looking at the stars so I thought I would use it as one of my science requirements. Unfortunately I didn't know that there was math required in that course. It was nowhere near as much fun as plants useful to man which was the other science course I took. I got a B in PUTM but got a D in Astronomy. Pulled my average wayyyyy down.
    The only other thing I remember about the class, other than stars have colors, is that one of the days I went to that class the windchill at the U of Minnesota that day was around -60. That is a number that sort of sticks in my mind. Nobody walked. We all trotted or even ran between classes. You don't stay still long at -60 because you will freeze right where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy: I'm sorry that astronomy class brought your grade point down. It's physics profs. They always want to use math and quantify, quantify quantify. At school, humanities shares a floor with physics and they are always rolling things down our hallway measuring the distance between X and Y. Jeez!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that sounds sort of fun. Maybe you could get them a paper airplane book. Paper Airplanes would be quieter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, here goes B. Stover . . .

    I love astronomy. Love to look up and see what's going on. Of course, whenever something exciting is supposed to happen, it is usually cloudy, or rainy, or snowy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie: LOL. Yes that's what usually happens here also. That's why I was glad a former student posted that video of the full moon eclipse.

    Nancy: I've been thinking about dodging paper airplanes as I walk to class. I don't think I'll let the physics department know about those...they'd love them!

    ReplyDelete