Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Montaigne...Wine

I mentioned in my first post that I'm reading Sarah Bakewell's biography of Montaigne, How to Live.  I've discovered that the Chateau Montaigne was damaged by fire in 1885 but was restored "to the same design." The Tower that became Montaigne's library where he wrote his Essays was undamaged by the fire. There he had his collection of books on five rows of curving shelves.  He also had the roof beams painted with classical quotations. (You can still see these today.)

Montaigne's great-grandfather bought the property in 1477. Among other things, he had been a merchant of wine. By the time Montaigne inherited the chateau, it had become "the head office of a fairly large wine-producing business, yielding tens of thousands of liters of wine per year." The best part is that the chateau "still produces wine today"!

4 comments:

  1. Betty, who do you order your wine from? And do you have to sign for it when it arrives? I used to belong to a wine club, but my neighbors always ended up signing for it. I’d like to avoid that if I order online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley: I belong to Four Seasons Wine Club. I'm putting their link below. (First you'll be asked to check your state of residence.) Some other wine dealers can't ship to Michigan but I'm not sure why not. You can give permission to have the wine left I think. You may be able to have it delivered on a Saturday. Mine usually is. You can also choose a mixed case of white and red, or a case of one or the other. I get the red. The wine is from all over the world and is good. Each case comes with pages on each wine that you can collect in a three-ring binder that you get when you first join. It's interesting reading about the various vineyards. Also, you can let them know if you don't want the case sent. (They send four times per year, hence the name.)

    http://www.4seasonswine.com/index.aspx?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Do you find their prices to be reasonable? Oh, and were you able to order a bottle of Cahors off their list?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the prices are reasonable. They offer specials also in addition to the regular shipments. They don't have Cahors but they do have Malbecs from Argentina. (I bought the Cahors online at winebuys.com....I think that was it.)

    ReplyDelete