Monday, March 14, 2011

Digression

I'm digressing from Ovid today because I've been noticing several things about English usage lately. I've seen a sentence similar to this: "That quote is interesting." Now, "quote" is a verb; "quotation" is the noun that should be used in that sentence. Why is this being done?

Another thing that is now prevalent: using the conjunction "but" instead of the adverb "however." "I really want to read the new Chet and Bernie mystery. But there are three books in my pile that I haven't read yet." The two words in this usage mean the same thing: contrast.  The usage rules are not being followed: A conjunction joins two sentences; an adverb may act as a transitional word. Why is this being done? (Of course, the choice would be obvious regarding the Chet and Bernie mystery!)

The reason, I think, is the usual reason for usage changes. We're lazy--too lazy to go to the trouble of adding a few letters in order to use the correct word.  Another reason is that the longer word may seem too formal. Whatever the reasons, usage overrides rules and eventually the language will change according to the way it's used. My students always make the two words "a lot" into one word no matter that it's a weak usage either way. What's wrong with "many"? Pity the poor English teacher. However, (but) it is fun to watch language change.

3 comments:

  1. Betty, I agree with you alot. But really want to know what the three books are in you're reading pile, however I will have to wait. I will quotation the following: "Many words are weird". But that quote was from me, so however, I'm not sure it counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh!!!

    Winter Ghosts by Kate Moss, Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier, and Still Point by Amy Sackville.

    ReplyDelete